Freedom of Information Act Requests
The City of Cayce recognizes the South Carolina Freedom of Information Act (South Carolina Code 30-4-10) enacted by the South Carolina General Assembly that gives every citizen the right to access government meetings, documents and records. By standardizing the City’s procedures for processing Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests and establishing reasonable fees for such requests, the City will ensure its compliance with FOIA and its intended goal of transparency of City operations and policies.
All requests for information pursuant to the South Carolina Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) must be made in writing and submitted in person or by mail, email or fax to the City of Cayce. To ensure accuracy in the City’s response, all requests should be as descriptive as possible. In accordance with FOIA, the City of Cayce must respond to a written request within fifteen (15) working days (excludes Saturdays, Sundays and legal public holidays). A written FOIA request is not required to obtain the following:
- Minutes of meetings for past six months
- All reports related to the nature, location and substance of a crime committed in last fourteen (14) days
- Documents identifying individuals confined to any jail or detention center in past three (3) months (excluding restricted juvenile records)
In order to assist citizens making FOIA requests, the City of Cayce has developed the attached suggested FOIA Request Form. This form is only intended to ease the process for citizens when making their written FOIA requests and is not a requirement by the City to process any written requests it receives. Refer to the link below for the Fee Schedule outlining reasonable costs that may be incurred by the requesting party during the City of Cayce’s FOIA request processing.
Any questions about the City of Cayce’s FOIA policy should be directed to the Municipal Clerk at 803-550-9557 or email [email protected]
- Freedom of Information Act Request Form
- Freedom of Information Act Fee Schedule
- Cayce Department of Public Safety FOIA Request Form
- Cayce Department of Public Safety FOIA Fee Schedule
City Clerk’s Office
1800 12th Street
Cayce, SC 29033